Bancroft Library, the primary special collections library of the UC Berkeley, was built in 1949 to the design of Arthur Brown, Jr. The collection, which was acquired as a gift in 1905 from its founder, Hubert Howe Bancroft, consisted of 50,000 volumes of historical materials on the history of California and the North American West, from the Isthmus of Panama to Alaska and from the Trans-Mississippi West to Hawaii, including the great Pacific voyages of discovery of Cook, Malaspina, Vancouver, La Pérouse, and Otto von Kotzebue. In 1970 it merged with the Department of Rare Books and Special Collections, and today it holds approximately 600,000 books, 55,000 linear feet of archival and manuscript collections, almost 8 million photographic prints and negatives and over 20,000 historical maps. Highlights include the Mark Twain Papers, the Regional Oral History Office, the University of California Archives.
The University of California, Berkeley, also referred to as UC Berkeley, California or simply Cal, is a public resarch university established in 1868 as the result of a merger between the private College of California and the public Agricultural, Mining, and Mechanical Arts College in Oakland. Generally considered the flagship institution in the University of California system, Berkeley co-manages three United States Department of Energy National Laboratories, including the Los Alamos National Laboratory, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory and Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory for the U.S. Department of Energy.