The Pratt Street Power Plant, also known as the Pier Four Power Plant, at 601 East Pratt Street, was built in Neo-Classical style by the architectural firm of Baldwin & Pennington between 1900 and 1909. From 2001-2003, the 132-foot by 326-foot complex, consisting of three brick with terra cotta trim structures, was converted to the mixed-use project, Power Plant Live! The Power Plant presently contained the first ESPN Zone in the country, opened July 11, 1998, a Hard Rock Café, a multi-story Barnes & Noble, a Gold's Gym, restaurants, a concert hall, and loft offices.
The Power Plant served as the main source of power for the United Railways and Electric Company, a consolidation of smaller street railway systems, that influenced the provision of city-wide transportation and opened up suburban areas of Baltimore to power its electric street railway in the city. It later served as a central steam plant for the Consolidated Gas, Electric Light and Power Company, a predecessor of the Baltimore Gas and Electric Company for $4 million. The plant, with obsolescent equipment, was used sparingly until it was returned to service to meet the World War II production demand for electricity.After the electric plant was retired from service, the building was vacant for a time. The building had been the site of many failed development endeavors, most notably an indoor Six Flags theme park (1985-1989) and a short-lived dance club called P.T. Flagg's (1989-1990).
National Register #87000564 (1987)