The Old Stone House, at 3501 M Street, is the oldest standing building in Washington DC. Built in 1765 in the Vernacular style by Christopher and Rachel Layman, it is also Washington's last Pre-Revolutionary Colonial building on its original foundation. The building survived demolition for years because local folklore had it that George Washington and Pieere Charle L'Enfant met here instead of at Suter's Tavern.
After Christopher died, Rachel sold the house to widower Cassandra Chew, who added a rear kitchen in 1767 and a second floor by 1775. The third floor was added after the original west wall was dismantled after a property line dispute. The house stayed in the Layman family until 1875. Over the years, it has been used as shop for hats, tailors, locksmiths, clockmakers, house roofing, house painting, and a used car dealership. In 1953 the Federal government purchased the property for $90,000 and turned it over to the National Park Service. After a renovation in 1960, it was opened to the public.
The Georgetown Historic District, roughly bounded by Reservoir Rd.,
NW, and Dumbarton Oaks Park on the north; Rock Creek Park on the east;
the Potomac River on the south; and Glover-Archbold Parkway on the
west, encompassses the area laid out as a prosperous port town in 1751
prior to the establishment of the Distrcict of Columbia, and later
assimilated into the city of Washington in 1871. Today, the primary
commercial corridors of Georgetown are M Street and Wisconsin Avenue,
which contain high-end shops, bars, and restaurants. Georgetown is
home to the main campus of Georgetown University, the Old Stone House,
the oldest standing building in Washington, and the embassies of
France, Mongolia, Sweden, Thailand, and Ukraine.
National Register #73000219 (1973)
Georgetown Historic District National Register #67000025 (1967)