NYC - Greenwich Village: Fire Patrol House 2
Patrol # 2 opened in 1855 at the Marion Bell Tower in lower Manhattan. In 1866 they moved to 153 Elm Street and in 1869 they moved again, to 173 Elm Street. Then in 1873 Patrol 2 moved once again to 31 Great Jones Street where they stayed until 1907. Finally in 1907 they moved to 84 West Third Street where they are currently located. Patrol 2 is the only unit that has maintained their designation since they were formed.
The firehouse has reportedly been haunted by Firefighter Schwartz for more than half a century. As the story goes, Schwartz hanged himself from a steel ceiling rafter in the attic sometime before 1930 after discovering his wife had cheated on him. Since then, his ghost has been known to roll a metal cart across the attic floor when no one is looking and appear in the stairwell, dressed in a double-breasted uniform with badges and a cap.
The New York Fire Patrol consists of about 100 employees based at three city stationhouses. Funded by companies that write fire insurance policies, the fire patrol's mission is to respond to calls and help salvage property. Once on site, the Fire Patrol is under the command of the fire department.