This marble fronted building has been the home of America's principal securities market since 1903. The New York Stock Exchange, dates back to 1792, when stock dealers met under a buttonwood tree on Wall Street, had been housed at a numer of sites before it moved into a building by John Kellum at 12 Broad Street in 1865. The building was enlarged in 1880-81 by James Renwick, Jr., and eventually replaced by the current structure, whose moumental Corinthian columns support a pediment containing an allegorical sculpture ensemble entitled Integrity Protecting the Works of Man, designed by John Quincy Adams Ward and executed by Paul Wayland Bartlett.
The New York Stock Exchange was designated a landmark by the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission in 1985.
National Historic Register #78001877