NYC: Liberty Tower
Liberty Tower, at 55 Liberty Street, was built by Henry Ives Cobb and the Atlantic Terra Cotta Company between 1909-190. The 33-story, Neo-Gothic tower, clad entirely in white terra cota and enlivened with fanciful ornament, including birds and alligators, is an important anticedent to the Woolworth Building. When constructed, the freestanding structure held the unoffical title of the "world's tallest building on such a small site."
Franklin Delano Roosevelt held a job in the Fidelity and Deposit Company's first floor offices here in the 1920's, shortly before becoming Governor of New York State.
Later known as the Sinclair Building, and the Evening Post Building, in 1979 it became one of the earliest residential conversion projects in Lower Manhattan when architect Joseph Pell Lombardi turned it into an 87-apartment luxury residential building.
Liberty Tower was designated a landmark by the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission in 1966.
National Register #83001734 (1983)