NYC - Bank of New York Building
The Bank of New York Building (center), at 48 Wall Street, was erected by the Bank of New York and Trust Company in 1927-29 to the plans of Benjamin Wistar Morris. Established in 1784, the Bank of New York was the second bank in the nation and New York's oldest financial institution. In 1796, it became the first bank to erect a building on Wall Street. They stayed on the same plot of land through 1998 when they vacated the present building for 1 Wall Street.
Morris' 32-story Neo-Georgian skyscraper is clad in limestone and features multiple setbacks that double as open-air terraces as well as Colonial style elements, such as the flanking thatched-roofed setbacks and the top in the form of a small temple, crowned with a copper eagle at 156.5 m. The three-storey base is clad in rusticated limestone. The 29,700 m² of space within the building has been modernized and remodelled, whereas the original banking halls on the first and second floors have retained their historic styling. The first two floors are connected by an elliptical entrance lobby and all three have ample marble decor. The interior features murals made by J. Monroe Hewlett in 1929, depicting commercial and banking themes.
On the right, stands 40 Wall Street, originally known as the Bank of Manhattan Trust Building, or Manhattan Company Building, and later known Trump Building. On the left, stands 60 Wall Street.
The former Bank of New York & Trust Company Building was designated a landmark by the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission in 1998. 40 Wall Street was designated in 1995.
Bank of New York Building National Register #03000847 (2003)
40 Wall Street National Register #00000577 (2000)