NYC - South Street Seaport - Peck Slip - Trompe l'oeil
Richard Haas' 1977 mural, Trompe l'oeil, on the blank side wall of a Consolidated Edison building on Peck Slip depicts a classical colonnade, complete with an illusionistic view through the brick wall to the Brooklyn Bridge.
Peck Slip is named for Benjamin Peck, who had an active ship-fitting business here in the mid-1700s. The actual slip was created in 1755. In 1763, he built the Slip Market at this location, one of the many predecessors of the Fulton Market.
Thomas Edison located his first electric generating station near her at 255 Pearl Street in 1882. In fact, it was the first commercial generating system for incandescent service in the country. He selected this area because the financial commmunity was nearby (the first light were turned on at 23 Wall Street), were the newspapers. ConEd still still maintains this electrical substation on the north side of Peck Slip.