White-Gravenor Hall was built atop the White Memorial Quadrangle from 1932-1933. Originally constructed as the Science-Recitation Hall, it was named after two of the Jesuits who arrived in Maryland in 1634 on the Ark and the Dove--Andrew White (1579-1656) and John Altham, also known as Gravenor (1589-1640). The building has been called a "sermon in stone" because of the Catholic and Jesuit symbolism of its external architectural details. Today it serves as home to to classrooms, laboratories, and offices for Georgetown College and the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.
The Georgetown Historic District, roughly bounded by Reservoir Rd.,
NW, and Dumbarton Oaks Park on the north; Rock Creek Park on the east;
the Potomac River on the south; and Glover-Archbold Parkway on the
west, encompassses the area laid out as a prosperous port town in 1751
prior to the establishment of the Distrcict of Columbia, and later
assimilated into the city of Washington in 1871. Today, the primary
commercial corridors of Georgetown are M Street and Wisconsin Avenue,
which contain high-end shops, bars, and restaurants. Georgetown is
home to the main campus of Georgetown University, the Old Stone House,
the oldest standing building in Washington, and the embassies of
France, Mongolia, Sweden, Thailand, and Ukraine.
Georgetown Historic District National Register #67000025 (1967)