The New York Yacht Club's primary clubhouse, at 37 West 44th Street, opened in 1901 to the design of Warren and Wetmore. The six-storied Beaux-Arts landmark features a nautical-themed limestone façade.
The New York Yacht Club, a private yacht club, was founded in 1844 by nine prominent sportsman and has grown to over 3,000 members, all by invitation only, as of 2011. The club established its first clubhouse in Hoboken in 1845 and, after outgrowing the building, moved to various locations various locations, including Staten Island, Glen Cove, New York and Mystic, Connecticut, before reaching Newport. In 1901, they opened their primary clubhouse in midtown Manhattan.