Pollak Building, 325 N. Harrison, 1971.
The Pollak Building opened in 1971 and was the University’s first building devoted exclusively to art instruction. It is named for Theresa Pollak (1899-2002). She founded the forerunner to today’s VCU School of the Arts in the mid-1920s. One of Virginia's most well-known artists and art educators, Pollak is credited for introducing modern art to Richmond. She retired in 1969 but continued to paint and draw the remainder of her life, exhibiting her drawings and paintings nationally. (Image: Special Collections and Archives, Cabell Library)