These bronze doors were created for the east portico of the new Senate wing during the mid-nineteenth-century expansion of the Capitol. They were designed and modeled by the American sculptor Thomas Crawford in Rome in 1855–1857. After Crawford's death in 1857, William H. Rinehart was commissioned to complete the work and the models were shipped to America in 1864. They were cast by James T. Ames at his foundry in Chicopee, Massachusetts, in 1864–1868, and placed late in 1868.
Overall they measure 14 feet 5½ inches high and 7 feet 4 inches wide. Each valve consists of three panels, depicting events in the life of George Washington and Revolutionary War scenes, and an allegorical medallion. The descriptions below start at the top of each valve and proceed downward.
This official Architect of the Capitol photograph is being made available for educational, scholarly, news or personal purposes (not advertising or any other commercial use). When any of these images is used the photographic credit line should read “Architect of the Capitol.” These images may not be used in any way that would imply endorsement by the Architect of the Capitol or the United States Congress of a product, service or point of view. For more information visit www.aoc.gov.