[This set contains 3 photos] This is a creative commons image, which you may freely use by linking to this page. Please respect the photographer and his work.
Penshurst at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia was constructed in 1830 by Dabney Cosby of Raleigh, NC. It was originally called the North Carolina House. It was the residence of seminary professors from 1830-1895; it was the President’s house from 1895-1939. It has been a private residence since then, affiliated with an official of the college. In 1989 in underwent exterior renovation. Presumably there’s a connection with the Sidney family (English poet Philip Sidney) whose ancestral home was Penshurst.
Originally a standard Federal House with staircase and small porch (simple Doric columns) it evolved into a Greek-Revival style home. It has a brick foundation and sides (Flemish-bond); the hipped roof is made of tin. It’s a 3-bay two-story house with elevated basement. The entry is plain and the double-hung sash windows are 6/6. A larger porch is at the rear, although this may not have been part of the original; it has decorative brackets. The 4 interior end chimneys are of capped brick. The name and date of the structure are on the chimneys.
The home was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1970 as part of the Hampden-Sydney College Historic District. #70000822
Virginia Department of Historic Resources ID: 073-0058, structure 73-58-16.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License