Apparently, partially for sale. Surprised nothing has happened to this building all these years.
charles p. holden was a well-known chicago resident during the 1860's
& 70's. he was deeply involved in real estate and/or development
in and around the westside of chicago. this particular building was
built shortly after the great chicago fire of 1871. as a consequence
of the fire, this structure contains 8 seperate vaults w/ ornamental
cast iron safe doors. that way, any valuable assets stashed away could
be rescued if another conflaguration was to arise. in addition to the
vaults, the first floor contained cast iron fluted columns w.
corinthian capitals. the window and door casings were milled in a deep
relief pine wood (typical of this period). interestingly, the load
bearing columns on all of the upper floors were fashioned in the form
of rounded wood columns w/ simple banding near the cap. the decorative
stone facade will be rehabilitated during the building's conversion to