Oak Cemetery - Fort Smith, Arkansas
Fort Smith's original public cemetery was a block of land bounded by what is now C and D Streets and Second and Third. As the town grew, this land was wanted for other purposes, so in 1850 John Rogers, the founder of the City of Fort Smith (NOTE: he was not the founder of the military post), set aside new land with deeds to the plot holders, and the old graves were moved. This is now called Oak Cemetery and is located at South Greenwood and Dodson Avenues.

Oak Cemetery is recognized as a National Historic Landmark based on over 150 years of documented history. The oldest monument, dated 1842, the same year Fort Smith was incorporated, marks the grave of Captain Gookin.

The cemetery continues to capture the colorful history of past generations. It is the resting place of at least twenty-eight outlaws hanged by Judge Issac C. Parker and several more that were sentenced to hang but died in jail.

Also interred are over a hundred Marshals, Deputies and Court appointed officials, some of whom lost their lives while serving the cause of justice.

Others buried here include the Founder of the City of Fort Smith, an Arkansas Governor, fifteen Fort Smith Mayors, and a hundred twenty-two Confederate soldiers.

The thirty-acre facility is under the perpetual care of the City of Fort Smith's Parks and Recreation Department.

The Sexton House provides office space and a storage area to preserve burial records. The museum within the Sexton House displays pictures, historical artifacts and documents. A multi-media center is also available for visitors to view interesting videos.

The pavilion stands tall beside the museum. Graveside services are required to be held at the beautifully landscaped pavilion. Further improvements include landscaping, fountains, benches, gazebos, and a freestanding granite mausoleum-columbarium.
38 photos · 984 views