Hailey Park in Llandaff North nestles between the eastern bank of the River Taff and what would have been the western bank of the Glamorganshire Canal as the canal emerged from beside the tin works at Melingriffith. Back when Radyr Yard still existed (which today is the site of a new housing estate immediately south west of Radyr Railway Station), a railway embankment ran through the northern end of the park's grounds, crossing the River Taff over a now-disused bridge to join what today we call the City Line.
In 1923, a Mr C. P. Hailey wrote to Cardiff Corporation offering the land to be transformed into a public park. His offer was for the northern section of the park, and subsequently a Mr Emile Andrews agreed to provide the land to the south of Mr Hailey's to form a single park. Work began in 1925, and the park was opened on 3rd May, 1926, forming a great open area that only became even more important when Cardiff Corporation closed the Glamorganshire Canal and built the Gabalfa housing estate.
Today, the park is home to Llandaff North Rugby Club, and the Taff Trail cycle route snakes its way up from the south west to the north east corner of the park. A local community group works closely with the city council to improve the park, but unfortunately they keep hitting setbacks as local yobs disrupt and vandalise the park. The railway embankment that ran across the park is gone, and the line of trees that run down the south east corner edge of the park is the last reminder to mark the route that the canal once took.
Hailey Park, A History
Hailey Park on the Cardiff Council website
Friends of Hailey Park
Glamorgan Canal photos
History of Llandaff North RFC
TVR Other Structures, including information about the line through Hailey Park
Hailey Park Tennis Courts Get A Makeover
Hailey Park Arson Attack
If you like this photo, please leave a comment or mark it as one of your favourites.
Want to know more about this photo? See this blog entry: