Hippodrome St Helens. Original design by J A Baron of St Helens, opened in June 1903 as the Empire Theatre of Varieties. It was built for Stan & Billy Boardman but they had overstretched their resources and the new theatre was not an immediate success. Within 3 months it had been sold to Tom Barrasford who renamed it to his preferred name in the Barrasford Circuit, and introduced "twice nightly" performances. Became a cinema in the late 1930's and a bingo hall, still successfully operating today, in 1968. The attractive Edwardian façade is constructed of brick and terracotta tiles from Bispham Hall Terracotta Co. and the tall flytower can be seen at the rear.
St Helens Hippodrome