1796-inspired Regency round gown.
I made this gown based on the one seen in this fashion plate from
1796, the early Regency: damesalamode.tumblr.com/post/21216940738/gallery-of-fashi...
I used the Folkwear Empire bodice pattern pieces as my starting point, then altered them to create the look and functionality I wanted.
There's a waistline drawstring that cinches up and gathers the front (the back is fitted). Another drawstring gathers the neckline.
I merged the Folkwear front bodice pattern pieces, raised the neckline and widened the shoulder pieces a bit. I also reduced the volume of the sleeves and lengthened them to the elbow. Instead of gathering the sleeve heads into the armscyes, I pleated them.
The skirt is just 4 yards of fabric, opened to its full width, with the selvedges forming the hem and joining the waistline. The yardage is sewn into a tube, with just one seam up the center back, and the skirt is pleated to the bodice at center back. This skirt method is explained very helpfully by the Hungarican Chick (of the Oregon Regency Society) on her blog: hungarican.blogspot.com/2010/04/benefits-of-bib-front-and...