new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
Archs and columns / Arcos y columnas | by SantiMB.Photos
Back to photostream

Archs and columns / Arcos y columnas

Drassanes Reials - Barcelona (Spain).

Wiki Loves Monuments Code: RI-53-0000203

 

View Large On White

 

ENGLISH

The royal shipyards were designed as a dockyard for galleys, i.e. as an area in which ships were to be constructed, repaired and maintained, as well as to serve the war fleet of the Crown of Aragon. It was a location at which galleys were built, but also one at which they spent the winter and where there were storage facilities for rigging, gear, arms and provisions, etc. The purpose for which the complex was initially used explains its architectural structure, although it has added value in aesthetic terms when viewed from a modern perspective.

 

The origins of the building are uncertain. It could be said that its history begins with a documentary reference dated 1243. However, the first phase of construction work on the architectural complex actually took place in the period spanning the years 1283 and 1328, and was followed by another stage of work between 1328 and 1390. The end result was a regular (square) complex comprising a series of Gothic units supported by stone pillars and topped by a gabled roof. An enclosed yet extensive zone, it has light and space in which to work. It is basically a roof resting on stone columns, under the shelter of which work took place.

 

Various extensions were carried out after the aforementioned dates. There were basically three such extensions, which were adjoined to the original structure and came to complete the complex. Specifically, they were the New Gallery, erected between 1390 and 1415, and traditionally known as the Pere IV Building; the Units of the Generalitat (Catalan Regional Government), which were built onto the eastern side of the medieval structure between 1612 and 1618; and the expansion of the Gothic units, which now go by the name of the Comillas Hall, towards the side opposite the shoreline in the 17th and 18th centuries.

 

The shipyard complex was situated outside the 13th-century medieval fortifications. However, an extension incorporating the Raval area was carried out in the 14th century, and the shipyards were positioned inside the new walled enclosure, in a corner of the city. A section of that very wall still surrounds the western part of the complex, facing Montjuïc, and is the only vestige that now remains of the city's fortifications, which were demolished as of 1854. The section of wall that still stands includes a bastion that dates back to the middle of the 17th century.

 

More info: www.museumaritimbarcelona.com/default.asp?idApartado=102

 

---------------------

 

CASTELLANO

Las Reales Atarazanas se concibieron como un arsenal de galeras, es decir, como un espacio de construcción naval, de reparación y mantenimiento, y también de servicio para la flota de guerra de la Corona de Aragón. En este lugar se construían galeras, pero también hibernaban y se almacenaban aparejos, aperos de pescar, armas, víveres, etc. Este primer uso explica la estructura arquitectónica del conjunto, a pesar de que, desde el punto de vista estético, para nosotros tenga un valor añadido.

 

Los orígenes del edificio son imprecisos. La primera mención documental existente de este conjunto arquitectónico se remonta al año 1243, pero su construcción se llevó a cabo en dos periodos: el primero, entre los años 1283 y 1328, y el segundo, entre los años 1328 y 1390. El resultado final es un conjunto regular (cuadrado) formado por una sucesión de naves góticas que se sostienen sobre pilares de piedra y cubiertas con un tejado de vertientes a dos aguas. Un espacio cubierto pero amplio, con luz y espacio para trabajar. Es casi como un tejado aguantado por palmeras de piedra donde se podía trabajar a cubierto.

 

Con posterioridad a estas fechas se realizaron diversas ampliaciones (básicamente tres) adosadas al cuerpo original que acabaron completando el conjunto: el Porxo Nou (cobertizo nuevo) (1390-1415), conocido tradicionalmente con el nombre de edificio de Pedro IV; las naves de la Generalitat, adosadas a la construcción medieval por levante entre 1612 y 1618; y la prolongación de las naves góticas hacia el lado opuesto a la línea de mar, realizada en los siglos XVII y XVIII, y que actualmente recibe el nombre de Sala Comillas.

 

El conjunto de las Atarazanas quedaba a extramuros de la fortificación medieval del siglo XIII. Sin embargo, con la ampliación del siglo XIV, que incorporaba el Raval, las Atarazanas quedaron dentro del nuevo recinto amurallado, en un ángulo de la ciudad. Precisamente un lienzo de esta muralla cierra todavía el conjunto por poniente, mirando a Montjuïc, y actualmente es el único testimonio de las murallas de la ciudad que empezaron a derribarse en 1854. Este tramo de muralla contiene un baluarte de mediados del siglo XVII.

 

Más info: www.museumaritimbarcelona.com/default.asp?idApartado=102

33,338 views
31 faves
62 comments
Taken on February 10, 2008