The Dam Keepers House
THE DAM KEEPERS HOUSE in Big Bear Lake, California:
On the south slopes of the mountains overlooking rock dam and the lake are the decaying remains of an old stone house. This house was built in October of 1890, using the left over granite blocks that had been cut from the hill side for the rock dam.
From 1890, to 1977, this house was occupied by many different dam keepers and their families who performed maintenance and regulated the flow of water to Redlands. The most famous of these dam keepers was early pioneer Bill Knickerbocker. He lived here for nine years from 1909 to 1918. Because it was important to keep in touch with the dam keeper, the dam keepers house was also the location of the first phone line into Big Bear Valley.
In 1977, the water company no longer needed the old rock house. It was donated to the forest service in the hopes that they would preserve it or possibly turn it into a museum at some time in the future. Unfortunately over the years, time and vandals have taken their toll, and it has fallen into serious disrepair.