The first battleship to come to Richmond in 51 years entered the
port's inner harbor pulled by four tug boats. Fifteen minutes later,
as the USS Iowa passed the SS Red Oak Victory, the two World War II
ships sounded their horns at each other like two old military buddies
greeting each other at a reunion.
The ship was a stirring sight to the observers gathered on the deck of the Red Oak and watching from sailboats trailing alongside.
The Iowa, built in New York in 1943, was modern enough to see duty
during Operation Desert Storm, but the 45,000-ton battlewagon was
decommissioned in 1991 and put into the Mothball Fleet.
In September, it was officially conveyed to a nonprofit organization, Pacific Battleship Center, which will operate the battleship as a museum and memorial anchored in San Pedro.