- There is a calendar above each of the three secretary desks, all indicating that the picture was taken in August of 1920. This one says "IOWA STATE TRAVELING MEN'S ASS'N" on the top of it. Nothing else is clearly legible in the photo.
- It's around 10:16. My guess is AM.
- These are not dog bowls scattered around the floor. They appear to be spittoons.
- This little daily calendar gives us our date. August 2nd, 1920.
- This is a cigar case. According to the writing on the glass, they are Union Made. Here's where it gets a little weird for me...The brand of cigar is "7-20-4 Cigars," made in Manchester, NH back in the early half of the 1900s. Manchester, NH is the town next to my hometown of Londonderry, NH.
- Another calendar from 1920. This one is advertising Union Made Cigars.
- Another 1920 calendar. It's hard to make out any of the writing on this one, but the bottom looks like "Thomas & ? Drug Store." I can't be sure about Thomas or the &, but I'm fairly confident.
- The sign behind the front desk reads: "On account of the HOL the management of this hotel is compelled to raise the rates to $3.00-$3.50-&4.00 per day. I have no idea what the "HOL" is.
- A white haired older man, probably in his fifties or sixties. He has a pipe in his mouth and he is wearing small round glasses. The guest registry appears to be opened in front of him.
- A thirty to forty year old man. He is not handsome, by any means. He looks very weathered and working class. I assume he is also an employee of the hotel.
keyboard shortcuts: ← previous photo → next photo L view in light box F favorite < scroll film strip left > scroll film strip right ? show all shortcuts