The church stands on a plain at the foot of the road. It is a building with a single nave with a semicircular apse oriented east, the two bodies together directly through the opening arc of the apse. The nave is covered with a barrel vault point, reinforced by two arcs that twist off a simple imposta. The apse is covered by a fourth round of a sphere. Four windows give light to the interior: two in front of the lunch, one in the west and the center of the apse, all with double-stroke and a round arch, the inner monolithic adovellat and a la outside. The entrance gate is located on one side of the south wall and is composed of two semicircular arches adovellats and degradation. The walls that enclose the sides of the ship lift and speaker, beyond the height of the roof with a gable double arc located on the west. This wall was a door open late to edge which was walled up in the restoration done by the Barcelona between 1970 and 1973, while reopening the door for lunch. The work is arranged in small blocks horizontal rows and tied with lime mortar rather sandy. Front door, a bastion of low wall was a small close where there is a sink stone named above were on the inside. We must remember that in the era of the house there are Santamaria anthropomorphic tombs that are part of the ancient necropolis of the church and is now hidden.
The first document which mentions Santa Maria is the consecration of the church of the monastery of San Lorenzo near Bagà, dated 21 November 983, in which the count of Cerdanya-Oliba Besalú and his wife Ermegarda donations made between some underwater the Sta. Maria has five houses, lands, tithes and first, and in a more clear: "Et in Avizano ecclesiam Sanctae Marie et hamlets V et terras et vineas, cum suas decimas et primitias (Parchment n. 1110, AM). The church was therefore within the limits of the old county of Berga and under the ecclesiastical jurisdiction of the Bishop of Urgell, depending on the Benedictine monastery of San Lorenzo near Bagà. The 1003 Count Oliba Cabreta the cedi to the monastery of Santa Maria de Serrateix (which depended on St. Lawrence nearly Bagà). In the tenth century Bishop of Urgell religious communities became the rule of Saint Benedict, taking care of the Benedictine parishes dependents. For this reason, some historians believe that Santamaria's house, next to the church, could have been the seat of a monastery that women would care about the cult of the Virgin Mary. The year 1312 remained the category of the parish as confirmed at the deanery of Berga. Currently depends on the parish of St. Martí as a covered (BENEDICT, 1993). During the Civil War (1936-1939) was leaving the cult and was converted into storage until 1970, the Heritage Service of the Barcelona are carried out important restoration work, returning the cult on 14 May 1973 . From inside the church comes to the front altar of Santa Maria attributed to the Master of Avià, preserved in the National Art Museum of Catalonia and which n'exposa back inside the church . The Virgin Mary was venerated Avià of this church and was known as Our Lady of La Leche, because it calls for pregnant women to assist in the delivery and give them strength to have the baby milk (Joys of Santa Maria de Avià).