The Grotto at Lourdes
To the west of Lourdes, beyond the river Gave, is an old rock promontory, jutting up from the ground. This rock was known locally as the 'Big Rock', or Massabielle as it is called in the local patois.
Here, Our Lady appeared to St Bernadette and a statue marks the spot where she appeared 18 times in 1858.
Candles burn perpetually at this spot as a sign of prayer.