Dated 1927, Carliol House was originally the headquarters of NESCo, the Newcastle Electric Supply Company. It faces the magistrate's court, police and fire station, also in Portland stone. These were designed by Robert Burns Dick who was responsible for many of Newcastle's significant 20th century buildings. His are the towers either end of the Tyne Bridge, as is the 11-storey building, once the Northumberland County Council Offices; now the Vermont Hotel whose rear is visible under the viaduct at the bottom of Dean Street.
This photo also appears in
keyboard shortcuts: ← previous photo → next photo L view in light box F favorite < scroll film strip left > scroll film strip right ? show all shortcuts