Ten things you can do to improve your photography in 2009:
1. Force yourself to use the "manual" settings on the camera to learn the boundaries of your camera and what works with different light. Experiment with the extremes of the settings.
2. Do some night photography; remember the tripod!
3. Do some "candid" photos, whether they be everyday shots around the house or street shots. Go with the unplanned!
4. Set aside at least a day a month for an extended photo trip/session. Even better, at least once a week.
5. Forget about your Flickr network once in awhile and explore the vast art in Flickr of so many different styles and genres. Ask yourself-what specifically makes me like this image or not like that image?
6. Go to the library! Rather than spend tons of money of art books, check out the photography books in the library. It will take me YEARS to get through what my library has. If you're looking for a great one, try and find "Family of Man". If you have cable TV, look for movies and documentaries with photography themes, for example "Fur: An Imaginary Portrait of Diane Arbus (2006)".
7. Do some film!
8. Challenge yourself to learn some specific new skills in a photo processing program like Photoshop.
9. Become more discriminating in how you judge your own photos.
10. Try to learn what other people are seeing in your photos. Is there a dominant theme in my comments? Why did this one get a lot of faves and not that one?
0101 MMIX (Explore)