Cross and star taken down from the roof, and plugged in.
Both the cross and star, removed from the roof to the disappointment of many neighbours, had created holes and serious leaks in the roof. They'd been installed by nailing them right into the ashphalt shingles. When I replaced the roof, I didn't put them back up because quite apart from seeming inappropriate, they'd have required complicated installation, not to mention the problem of their dicey wiring and hot inefficient bulbs. The cross is quite amazing, made from two pieces of painted fir held apart by steel brackets, with Christmas light wiring running between the two slats. Holes were drilled for the Christmas light bulb sockets, and the bulbs were just screwed into the holes. It's an incendiary device and it's completely amazing that it never burned the church down, which would have been an interesting image. The cross rotted the entire vestibule by channelling rainwater right into the walls. The star was made using a similar method, but with aluminum and iron bar instead of wood, and tiny indoor Christmas lights. I need to rewire them both with LEDs.
Once the Good Shepherd Mission, Vancouver, Canada.
See this Flickr set's description for more information on converting a small church to a house, 2002-2009, or read my blog post about it at: