Upon seeing four beautiful sweet potatoes in our last Eatwell box, I said to myself, "what the eff am I going to do with tho-OH. PIE."
This is very similar to the way I make pumpkin pie. Different spices, adjusted sugar for the naturally sweet potatoes.
First sweet potato pie I've ever made. And it is quite good, if I may say so.
I dug my dessert plates out of a dusty drawer and decided it's high time to start using them.
Sweet Potato Pie
oven @ 350 F
Par-baked pie shell - 1
Sweet potato puree - 15 oz
Ginger - 1/4 tsp heaping
All spice - 1/4 tsp
Clove - dash
Orange zest - 1/4 tsp
Salt - 1/2 tsp
Eggs - 2
Maple syrup - 1/3 cup
Milk - 1/2 cup
Cream - 1/2 cup
Vanilla - 1/4 tsp
- Heat together sweet potato, spices and salt on the stove until you start to smell the spices, remove from heat and set aside.
- *Add the eggs now if the puree is completely cool.
- For home roasted, un-pureed sweet potato, add the milk, cream, maple
and vanilla to the sweet potato in a blender, and pulse until it stops
being stringy, but still has little lumps.
- For tinned sweet potato (do they even make that?), add the milk, cream, maple and vanilla to the puree in a bowl.
- *Add eggs last if the puree was still warm.
- Pour into par-baked pie shell and bake at 350 degrees F for 30 - 40 minutes or until center is just ever so slightly still wiggly.
- Refrigerate until completely cool before cutting.