Calgary General Hospital School of Nursing Graduation Pin 1954
The Calgary General Hospital School of Nursing of Calgary, Alberta had its origins in 1895 when the first "probationer" Marion Moodie, was admitted to the hospital training school. The first full-time instructor, Miss B. Rutherford, was appointed in 1919. The apprenticeship system of nurse training continued until 1923, when a well-organized training program based on a sound and thorough curriculum was established by the newly appointed Instructor of Nurses, Miss Jessie A. Connal. A School of Nursing and residence were built in 1956. After 79 years of service as a training school, the Calgary General Hospital School of Nursing was closed in 1974, having graduated 2,940 nurses. This decision was consistent with a nation-wide trend towards the closing of hospital training schools in favour of post-secondary education. For further information see Guardians of the Lamp : The Calgary General Hospital and its Nursing School Remembered / Eleanor King Byers. - Calgary: E. King Byers, 2009.