I wiggled the plastic clip and removed it (much too easy to do). Then I used a tiny bit of rubbing alcohol -- on a folder paper towel -- to clean the surfaces of the Kindle (and also the suede cover) where the Velcro would go. I allowed the suede to dry completely. I cut out the Velcro pieces (be sure to use "Industrial Strength" Velcro) and placed the soft (loop) pieces on the back of the Kindle.
Hover your mouse over this photo to see the numbers I have assigned to the three Velcro locations (as well as comments about each location). I will refer to these numbers in other photos.
Note that I did not want to place any Velcro on the dark-colored battery cover. Since the cover is designed to slide off, I didn't want to use it in my attempt to secure the Kindle.