This amazing scene is the closing ceremony of the Eucharistic Congress that was held in Dublin in June 1932. Earlier in the day, there had been a Solemn Pontifical High Mass at 1 p.m. in the Phoenix Park, with a special choir of 500 men and boys. A procession estimated at one million people, described as "miles of praying people", then made its way to O'Connell Bridge. The Service of Benediction and Hymns on O'Connell Bridge took place around 5.30 p.m., and the Papal Legate Cardinal Lorenzo Lauri gave his final address of the Eucharistic Congress from this location.
Date: Sunday, 26 June 1932
NLI Ref.: INDH2319