Tomato & Basil Soup with Tortellini
Ingredients (serves 4)
* 1 tbs olive oil
* 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
* 800g canned whole tomatoes, roughly chopped, juices reserved
* 2 cups (500ml) vegetable or chicken stock
* 250g small cheese tortellini, cooked
* 1/3 cup torn basil leaves
* 1/3 cup grated parmesan
* Crusty bread, to serve
1. Heat oil in a large, deep saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and cook about 1 minute until fragrant.
2. Add tomatoes and their juice, stock and 1 cup (250ml) water. Bring to a boil and simmer over medium heat for 15 minutes until tomatoes have broken down and mixture is the consistency of a chunky soup. Adjust seasoning to taste.
3. Divide tortellini among serving plates and ladle in soup. Top with basil and parmesan. Serve with crusty bread.
delicious. - May 2005 , Page 153
Recipe by Nancy Duran
- add chilli with the garlic - sorry but a dish like this is screaming for a touch of chilli
- i changed the crustybread to bruschetta with parsley & chive butter and parmesan
- also i had to use beef tortellini as i couldn't find any cheese tortellini
- i used tins of chopped tomatoes as I despise having to chop tinned tomatoes (and it gets messy)