Photograph by Randy Choura
Pittsburgh, Allegheny County, PA
Listed in NR: 11/25/1998
Designated an NHL: 04/05/2005
Begun in 1929, this is an internationally acclaimed model of community design based on Garden City planning, innovative methods of cost analysis, and pioneering efforts to reduce housing construction costs. It was designed by local architects and landscape architects under the supervision of master planner-architects Clarence S. Stein and Henry Wright, as a philanthropic project to provide high-quality housing in a suburban, garden setting for clerical workers. Building upon earlier work at Sunnyside Gardens and Radburn, it was one of the most celebrated and influential projects to result from Stein and Wright’s collaboration and the efforts of the Regional Planning Association of America to promote social reform and improvement in the housing of moderate income Americans in metropolitan areas. Chatham Village influenced the development of design standards used by the Federal Housing Administration to approve large-scale, rental housing in suburban areas for federally-insured mortgages. It also helped shape the design and construction of the first federally-funded public housing projects under the Public Works Administration in the 1930s.