C Smith Ltd, The magnet that draws the crowds. C. Smith's sale!, ca. 1906, Letterpress 570 x 440 mm, Printed Ephemera Collection, Alexander Turnbull Library, Reference: Eph-D-RETAIL-1906-01
This poster performs the very function that it describes so effectively. Note the red ink, and the pointing fingers, a printing type device common at the turn of the century.
The poster advertises many clothing lines for ladies, but a small gents’ section includes listing of boaters, “boys’ odd knickers”, and boys’ blouses. Other intriguing items listed include buttermilk soap, ladies’ Dorothy pinafores, and ladies’ crash costumes.
In 1894/95, Christopher and James Smith both had businesses at 15 Cuba Street, but by 1896/97, C Smith had moved to 25 Cuba Street, while James Smith was still at no. 15.