This weekend I tried out book binding for the first time. I was pleased with the results, but learned many lessons for doing a better job next time. I was inspired by (but not nearly as careful as) this writeup.
- The work area setup. Plenty of chipboard for cutting surfaces was helpful.
- Papers cut down from large pieces of Strathmore 400 drawing paper. I disassembled a Moleskine for reference.
- Papers folded in groups of three to form signatures.
- Template with hole punch.
- Signatures sewn together around binding tapes
- Mull is a mesh fabric glued to the spine with PVA archival glue. This plus the binding strips holds the papers to the cover.
- Lesson learned: xacto chisel blade does not make a clean edge for trimming. I'll either live with the deckle edges or find a better method next time.
- Cover boards glued to mull and binding strips.
- Grandpa's old vice makes makeshift book press. It actually worked pretty good. For the other pressings I had more material to even out the pressure.
- I used straight fabric here instead of expensive book cloth. Utrechts art store only had nauseating purple book cloth that I couldn't bear to purchase. The cloth had problems though - glue bled through and discolored the fabric a bit. Next time I'll try sizing the fabric by pre-gluing rice paper
- Glue brushed on to the cover board, the spine was attached directly to the fabric first.
- Boards attached, corners trimmed.
- Top part glued in preparation for folding around the edges.
- Rough corner fold, I liked how it turned out, but it could have been crisper.
- This is my favorite part of bookbinding for some reason. Makes it feel like a book somehow.
- Skewers and boards and protective "press n' seal" saran wrap for final pressing. The saran worked very well because it somehow avoided the adhesion of the powerful PVA glue.