The Old Point Loma Lighthouse was commissioned in 1851 and first lit on November 15, 1855. It was designed to aid in ship navigation into San Diego Harbor. However, the location, 422 feet above the sea on Point Loma, was less then ideal, and the light was frequently hidden by fog. In 1891 a new lighthouse was built down the hill, and this lighthouse was de-commissioned. Today, it has been restored and is the focal point of Cabrillo National Monument.