Claggett's Brewery Marker
Marker reads: The Star Spangled Banner flag was born here. The flag that flew from the ramparts at Fort McHenry – and inspired the famous poem by Francis Scott Key – was sewn at this site in 1813.
In the summer of 1813, Claggett’s brewery operated on this property. Mary Young Pickersgill, who lived one block away, was assembling the flag (measuring 30 by 42 feet) by hand and it was too large to sew in her home. She received permission to move the work to the malt house.
Working at night by candlelight, Mary and her small team knelt on the floor to sew 15 white cotton states – each about two feet across and representing the states in the Union at the time – on English woolen bunting dyed indigo blue.
For her work she received $574.44, paid to her under government contract, for two flags: the large garrison “Star Spangled Banner” flag (measuring 30 by 42 feet) and a smaller storm flag (17 by 25 feet, which has been lost to the ages).