George Washington Bicentennial Marker
Marker reads: This Elm has watched the growth of "Baltimore Towne" for over 100 years. On former estate of John Eager Howard Revolutionary and 1812 officer and fifth Governor of Maryland. Here, in "Howard's Woods" Count De Rochambeau's troops camped, 1782, erecting an alter for mass. James Cardinal Gibbons lived here, 1877-1921, resting now beneath the cathedral altar (cornerstone laid 1806). Famous world visitors (church and state) and generations of soldiers have passed beneath these protecting branches. - George Washington Bicentennial Marker Erected by Washington Custis Chapter, MD.D.A.R. 1732-1932.