overwintered black beans
We found ourselves out of our league with the dry bean harvesting last fall. We were harvesting and threshing by hand, cutting off each plant and then spreading them on a tarp to hit them with pitchforks to break open the pods. (This was the traditional Mexican way described by some friends, and it worked better than the home-modified thresher we had built.)
So we didn't have time to harvest all the black beans we grew...in fact, we left more than 3/4 of an acre - probably more than 1,000 pounds - standing in the field because we just ran out of time and space. These are the beans that were left behind. Gross. We'll be tilling them under and planting something else in this spot (not beans) for 2012.