The first 7 floors of this building were completed in 1919. Wirt Rowland of Smith, Hinchman & Grylls designed the 12-story addition and alterations to the business lobby, completed in 1927. The business lobby was extensively decorated at that time by noted artist Thomas DiLorenzo.
At 320 feet high, the building's 19 stories stand only six feet shorter than the 26-story Buhl Building. This is due to the floors being 14 to 16 feet high rather than the typical office building height of 10 or 11 feet. The higher ceilings were necessary in order to accommodate the telephone equipment installed in the structure. For the same reason, the floors were built to withstand a load of 150 pounds per square foot, rather than the usual 60 to 75 pounds.
Spandrel panels on the original building have an off-the-shelf design. The spandrels on the addition sport the "Bell" logo set within a diamond shape.