Barcelona - San Pablo del Campo
The monastery San Pablo del Campo (Catalan: Sant del Camp) was probably founded within the 9th century by count Wilfred II of Barcelona, son of Wilfred the Hairy. In 985 it was attacked by the Muslim troops of al-Mansur Ibn Abi Aamir, and abandoned by the monks. Restorations begun in 1096, but in 1114 it was attacked again. Since 1117 this was a priory of the monastery of Sant Cugat. The monastery was outside the city ( "del campo" = "in the fields"), but as Barcelona grew from the 14th century on it was inside the city walls. The last monks left 1835. Manwhile the abbey is a small oasis in the center of Barcelona.
The comparably small cloister (13th century) features lobular arcades, a pattern of mozarabic architecture. The arches are supported by double columns.