Winnipeg Bird's-Eye View (1884)
Fonseca, W. G. Winnipeg Entered According to Act of Parliament of Canada in the Year 1884 by W.G. Fonseca in the Office of the Minister of Agriculture [map]. Scale not given. Ottawa: Mortimer & Co. Lith., 1884.
By 1884, the impact of the railroad on Winnipeg is very apparent. The CPR tracks dominate the old Point Douglas Common. This map was drawn after the Manitoba boom, and many of the old buildings which line Main Street today were already in existence. In the 1960s some of them were finally being demolished, making way for new developments. Two bridges are shown across the Red, but the bridge connecting Broadway and Provencher was only short lived. Point Douglas is being affected by the railroad; industry is moving in, for example the flour mill operated by Ogilvie’s. Note the log booms next to some of the saw mills. Housing was expensive, and terraces were built in some parts of Winnipeg. Most were brick, but some were of wood. Many of the single family homes were built of wood, especially west of Main Street. As yet the expensive homes along the Assiniboine had not been erected. Note that Portage Avenue is called Queen. At this time the population had grown to 16,694.
(Warkentin and Ruggles. Historical Atlas of Manitoba. map 195, p. 388)
Source: Library of Congress American Memory Project
To zoom and pan the map click here: