Satellite image of downtown Tulsa showing tunnels, interior concourses and pedestrian bridges connecting several historic buildings. I've heavily notated it with identifiers and historic notes to give you a better perspective of the layout.
- Adam's Mark Hotel, 100 E. 2nd St. - The tunnel entrance is inside the lower parking garage.
- City Hall - Formerly Williams Technology Center
- Tulsa Performing Arts Center
- Exchange Tower - 320 S. Boston - housed the Exchange National Bank and has housed a bank since it opened in 1917. In 1923 a 12-floor addition was added to the south side and in 1927 a 21-story tower was added, making it Tulsa’s tallest building, 57 feet above the Philtower.
- Vault Door – Built by the Mosler Safe Co. in 1928 and was sold to the Exchange National Bank of Tulsa. The door is classified as a 20” door, meaning there’s 20” of solid polished steel from the front of the door to the bolt frame. The weight of the door alone is approximately 30 tons.
- Kennedy Building, 321 S. Boston, was purchased by pioneer physician, S. G. Kennedy in 1915. The lobby has a 10-story atrium. Lion-headed gargoyles above the doors once held rings in their mouths to support the original canopy.
- Mid-Continent parking garage
- Mid-Continent Building, 401 S. Boston, built in 1916 by Josh Cosden, was Tulsa’s first skyscraper. The building sits on the site of the old 1884 mission, Tulsa’s first school, and was built for $1,000,000. The Mid-Continent is 575 feet tall.
- Atlas Building, 409 S. Boston, was built in the shape of an inverted “T” for natural ventilation and light on all four sides in 1922 as an insurance building. The Atlas Building was connected to the Mid-Continent Building in the 1980’s. The neon ATLAS sign was renovated in 1992 and is the only vertical sign of its kind left in Tulsa.
- Tunnel construction began in 1929 on an 80-foot underground tunnel between the Philtower and the Philcade to facilitate transporting supplies between the two buildings. Due to the rash of kidnappings of wealthy businessmen in the Chicago area at the time, Waite Phillips felt secure being able to move freely between the two buildings.
- Philcade, 511 S. Boston, also built by Waite Phillips to complement the Philtower, was completed in 1929. The ornate lobby was built in the shape of a “T” for Tulsa. Waite built the Philcade to prevent downtown business development from moving west to Boulder Avenue.
- Philtower, 427 S. Boston, built by Waite Phillips, was completed in 1927. The Philtower was known as the “queen of the Tulsa skyline” and was the second skyscraper built in Tulsa. Still prominent in the Tulsa skyline, the Philtower is easily recognizable by its red and green polychrome tile roof.
- Main Park Plaza
- Williams N. parking
- Williams complex. Formerly The Forum.
- This interior concourse is actually underground on the same level as the parking garage, so it could also be classified as a tunnel.
- Williams Tower - a.k.a. BOK Tower
Downtown Tulsa tunnels, concourses and pedestrian bridges
keyboard shortcuts: ← previous photo → next photo L view in light box F favorite < scroll film strip left > scroll film strip right ? show all shortcuts