What is Bipolar Disorder?
* Bipolar disorder (also known as manic-depression) is a serious,
lifelong medical condition. It affects more than 2 million people in
the United States.
* Bipolar disorder is a treatable illness. And when symptoms are treated, life can be better.
* The exact cause of bipolar disorder is unknown. It’s a medical condition. Bipolar disorder may be related to a chemical imbalance in the brain, genetics, or abnormalities in brain structure.
* People with bipolar disorder can have mood swings, including depression (extreme lows) and mania (extreme highs).
* A period of depression or mania is called an episode. Individuals may experience episodes of depression or mania throughout life.
* Episodes may be separated by long periods with few or no symptoms. To help keep bipolar disorder under control, medication is often taken even when few or no symptoms are present.