Haweswater is the most easterly and one of the most isolated lakes in the English Lake District and with no settlements along its shores making it one of the most untouched and peaceful lakes. At 4 miles in length and half a mile wide with a depth of up to 200 feet in places and holding up to 18.6 billion gallons of water it is also one of the largest lakes in the Lake District but this as not always been the case. In 1929 a controversial bill was passed by Parliament authorising the use of Haweswater as a reservoir for Manchester, so a concrete dam was built 1550 feet wide and 120 feet high which raised the level of the lake by 95 feet, quite an engineering feat at its time of construction and considered to be cutting-edge technology. In the construction of the dam the villages of Mardale and Measand, and the Dun Bull Inn were demolished, all the bodies in Mardale Green's 18th century Holy Trinity church yard were exhumed and re-buried at Shap and the church itself dismantled with the stone used in constructing the dam. After the construction of the reservoir, conifer trees were planted on the surrounding landscape and now serve as shelter to wildlife. Just like all the other lakes, Haweswater is truly a beautiful place to visit.