Photo ID: W00520
Buchanan Dam Observation Building, taken from the lake side when the building exterior is complete, circa 1948.
The Buchanan Dam Observation Building was built to accommodate the 2,000 to 5,000 people who visited the area daily, according to the September 1947 LCRA News. Opening in October 1948, the building featured a 1,600 square foot observation deck plus a coffee shop and gift store for the traveling public.
In 1994, the Observation Building was renovated to become LCRA Hydro Operations Center. Due to security concerns, the Observation Building is now closed to the public.
Photographic Print: 2" x 3"
Photographic Negative: 2" x 3"