Lowry Mill, Swinton
"Lowry Mill, formerly Newtown Mill, was built in Swinton & Pendlebury in 1883 and is the only Mill left standing out of seven in the district.
L.S. Lowry (1887-1976) was born soon after the Mill was brought into service and lived a few hundred yards away
The Mill, which still retains its tall mill tower, is a prepossessing building standing on 2.4 acres of land adjacent to the Borough Bowling Green. The scene is depicted in Lowry’s “Newton Mill and Bowling Club” c. 1928. Lowry regularly collected rents at the Mill as part of his employment at the Pall Mall Property Company.
53x80cm mixed media