- Blue tie-dye rice (see tutorial in my "bento" section)
- couscous makes a good pebbly garden path
- All flowers except for the tulips and daffodils are from egg white. Centers are made of piped yolk that's been mashed with mayonnaise and sugar (like what you would put in a deviled egg)
- yellow squash wings, body and antennae from stringy bits of snap pea
- red bell pepper
- daffodils are yellow squash with carrot centers. The centers are anchored with dabs of the egg yolk mixture.
- despite their random and simple shapes, these leaves are what took forever to cut. All greenery is cut from snow pea pods.
Garden bento, closeup
With the exception of the tulips, all flowers were cut using the very tiniest gum-paste flower-cutters.
All flowers except for the tulips and daffodils are from hard-boiled egg white. Orange tulips and daffodil centers are hand-cut from carrots; red tulips are hand-cut from red pepper. Daffodil petals and the wings of the butterfly are yellow squash.
The leaves are cut from pea pods and took the most time of
anything...I'm pretty sick of cutting pea pods right now.
The body and antennae of the butterfly are also made from the stringy parts of snow pea pods.