The Mississippi State Capitol in Jackson, Mississippi is the state capitol building of the U.S. state of Mississippi, housing the Mississippi Legislature. The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1969 and designated a Mississippi Landmark in 1986.
The current Mississippi State Capitol building, often called the "New Capitol," is located in downtown Jackson and has been the home to Mississippi's state legislature since 1903. It is the third capitol building in Jackson.
The capitol is 402 feet (123 m) long and 180 feet (55 m) to the top of the dome. The exterior is made up of Georgia granite, foundation concrete walls and bedford limestone.
The Beaux-Arts architecture style building was designed to house all branches of the Mississippi state government. Currently, only the Legislature and the executive branches are contained in the capitol. The judicial branch is housed in the Gartin Justice Building across High Street.
In the Rotunda, walls are Italian white marble with a base of New York jet black marble. Eight big columns are art marble called scagliola. The dome interior contains 750 lights which illuminate the blind-folded lady representing "Blind Justice" and four scenes: two Indians, a Spanish explorer and a Confederate general. Balustrades are cast iron and original to the building.
An eight foot tall, fifteen foot wide eagle soars above the dome, made of solid copper and gilded with gold leaf.
One of the 53 replicas of the original Liberty Bell, as well as a
statue erected in memory of the ladies, mothers, sisters, wives and
daughters of the Confederate soldiers is located on the capitol
grounds. Among the trees on the grounds are the state tree, the
magnolia tree, along with two Japanese magnolia trees.