Originally opened as the 3,000 seat Borough Theatre & Opera House in 1896 (architect;Frank Matcham). It was modernised into an Art Deco style cinema by architect William R. Glen in 1934 and opened as the 1,889 seat Rex Cinema. Later known as the ABC Stratford it closed in 1969 and lay closed and unused until 1996 when it was restored as the Rex Theatre for live pop shows and events. Unfortunately, it has not been too great a success and appears to be temporarily closed and undergoing some further restoration in this April 2006 view.
This photo also appears in
keyboard shortcuts: ← previous photo → next photo L view in light box F favorite < scroll film strip left > scroll film strip right ? show all shortcuts